Friday 2 January 2009

Day 2

12:25

Jesus. I'm not getting better at this. I don't know if it's that the place is really hot, or really quiet, or that I'm just freakin' Goldilocks and nothing is ever quite right, but I've had two of the shittiest nights sleep in the most beautiful and serene places you could imagine.

And I've fucked up now - apparently, we've got to go out shopping.

Looking to the future, to further my writing career, I fear I will have to SET MY ALARM.

For a lazy, shiftless sleepaholic, this scares the shit out of me.

17:00

Finally starting work. Good and quiet, but I've gone past the ants-in-the-pants stage of needing to get this done, and feel slightly lazy about this all. I make myself a cup of tea and stare at the step outline.

I'm going to get this fucker finished today, I tell myself.

00:45

Not quite finished, but not far off. I've managed to set up and deal with the big confrontation between antagonist and protagonist, though it's by no means perfect. I'm now sitting at the moment where THE FINAL TWIST is revealed, and I can't quite work out how I'm meant to sell it without an episodic scene of moronic smugness: an 'M Night' scene, if you will. So, I think I'll close the computer down, and that these will be tasks for tomorrow.

It has definitely felt easier today: and I've written more words - 2,485 - in less time, - under 5 hours. This is good, because I feel it's necessary for me to to pound out about 500 words an hour if I'm going to succeed at this crazy quest throughout the year. For one day at least, I managed it.

What else have I been thinking whilst sitting here writing? Firstly, I'm going to have to get a better chair. If I'm getting a twinge in my back after two days, I'm going to be a wreck before the first screenplay is out, let alone by the end of the year.

Secondly, maybe all the successful writers who say that if you write every day it gets easier aren't just talking bullshit. But since my whole frame of reference is two days, maybe I better shut the fuck up until the day people pay me for writing.

Thirdly, I sketched out in rough form a lot of what I wanted to do today yesterday. That made yesterday's work feel a lot more difficult, but today's work easier; a little like loosening the earth before you shovel it.

But then, to me, writing out my ideas out often feels like shoveling something.

Off to bed. Maybe I can get up before sunset tomorrow.

word count: 2,485
hours writing: 4.5

No comments: