Friday 23 January 2009

Day 23

12:30

Up for a couple of hours, have been tearing through the painful process of rendering movies into image sequences, so I can work on colouring a short film I made last year.

Have had a great time reading snippets of my crusading books while I wait for things to finish.

Don't really feel like writing, though.

Pull your finger out!

14:15

I found this awesome online resource to hone my screenplay (can you tell if I've started writing yet?): it's called the word frequency counter, and I copied my whole script into it to find out the words I used, or over-used, the most.

Turns out I used the word 'the' 1594 times. That's okay. You can't do very much without the word 'the'.

But I used the word 'looks' a staggering 257 times. That means, on average, someone 'looks' at someone else in my script every two paragraphs. And these are script paragraphs - normally only two or three sentences.

A couple of other overused words I discovered through this device.

Man - 194 times
Down - 144 times
Walks - 140 times
Door - 126 times
Eyes - 56 times
Black - 41 times
White - 25 times
Silence - 19 times
Darkness - 13 times

And, bizarrely,

Moustached - 12 times.

I used the adjective 'moustached' 12 motherfucking times? I don't remember using it once. I don't even know how I'd put it in a sentence. Apart from, perhaps;

'What a magnificently moustached fellow he is'.

Anyway, maybe I should actually do something now And try not to use the word 'moustached' more than five times.

22:45

I feel pretty pissed off about today, in all. All of the renders I did came out wrong, then my machine stalled, and I'm going to have to entirely re-do the five hours of work that I put into my short film and not writing.

I really haven't achieved very much. I'm going to try to do another hour, and then call it a day.

00:30

Finished for the day. Have made my word count, but only through writing the 'novelisation', which I'm worried is becoming less and less readable.

Must do better - must do more creatively - tomorrow. Haven't felt like any of this today. When I woke up this morning, I felt like the whole world was ahead of me. Now I feel like it's run off after having kicked me in the balls.

Still, there's always tomorrow.

word count: 3,241
hours writing: 3.5

No comments: