Monday 9 February 2009

Day 40

20:00

My fortieth day on this crazy scheme. It's been pretty damned good, though there hasn't been much work in it.

I woke up to find that the book I'd ordered from amazon, Swearing: A Social History, had arrived. There was still snow on the ground, so we decided to walk out to the West End, through Kelvin Park. The Victorian part of the city looked really beautiful: white roofs, snow-blanketed lawns. We stopped into a fantastic cafe in the heart of the West End called Heart Buchanan. Due to having experienced an economic downturn several months, if not years, before everybody else, this was the first time I'd got a slice of cake out in a long time (actually, I had a fairy cake - though I prefer to think of it as a 'frosted muffin') and it was damned good.

We picked up some takeaway for later from our favourite Indian place, called The Banana Leaf, on Old Dumbarton Road, and headed for home. When we got back, we found out that a picture that my beautiful girlfriend took last night of Rabbie Burns in the snow is BBC Scotland's Big Picture of the Day!

So I've been reading my book on swearing for the last hour, noting down some choice words my medieval characters might exclaim. I'm going to have to start writing soon, however.

But I've had a lot of fun today.

03:15

Well, got three and a half hours writing in. Under the word limit, and more of this endless fucking plot writing still to go, but this is all I can really do today. I'm tired. I feel a lot more positive about this project now, though: it's really starting to make sense. I've completely changed one of the characters, turned another character into a different person altogether with a new name, and introduced another character. What's good is that, finally, after all of this work, I'm finally starting to see a pattern for the film, a way to fit in the bits I want, a way of seeing how all the bits of communication and desire between these different characters can fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.

On that cliche, I'm going to bed.

word count: 1,308
hours writing: 3.5

No comments: